Last weekend I headed to good old Morristown, New Jersey for the Fast Track To Fitness Millions Seminar. Now I always enjoy these events simply because I get to network and hang out with some of my fitness industry buddies that I’ve only been able to chat with on the phone or Skpye or on Twitter. Just like anyone that has ever attended any type of business seminar will tell you, all the good business happens at the bar.
So there I was on Saturday night, a water in hand. You see I really don’t drink much since A) I’m dieting and B) I’m not much of a drinker though I did have one corona on Friday night, my first drink since the three that I had on new years eve. A bunch of us are talking business when fitness internet marketing and seo ninja Chris McCombs randomly says “Man,I’m hungry”.
I’m not one to turn down food and I knew that the friend that I was with at the seminar had a car so I said “let’s go eat”. So then AJ Roberts, who totals around 2587 pounds in the squat, bench press and deadlift says “I’m in”.
The Tale Of The Tape
Jimmy Smith: 6’6 237lbs
Chris McCombs: 6’6 320lbs
AJ Roberts: 290 lbs
That’s a total of 847 pounds, not to mention the two women that were in the car with us. Best of all, we were in a Jetta! I mean at one point we almost didn’t make it up the hill. I thought AJ was going to have to get out and squat the car up it. Here’s a picture of us crammed in the car.
You should of seen the look of terror on the faces of everyone in the diner when we talked in.
Here’s another shot of all five of us outside the car.
That poor car….
While we were at a fitness business seminar, the crowd was obviously made up of fitness pros. Some people came prepared but others weren’t so lucky and had to settle for fried and greasy foods. Not what you want to do on the road. Here’s 27 ways to eat healthy when you travel.
1. Prepare your food. Doesn’t matter what it is, just do what I did and throw some chicken and broccoli and brown rice and protein powder and oats in a cooler and you’re good to go.
2. Hijack your rooms fridge or rent one so you can bring whatever healthy food options that you want.
3. Stay away from the “itis” of being bored during the seminar or between rides or whatever you’re doing and drink a ton of water so you’re not snacking.
4. Casein protein is your friend
5. Wake up and eat breakfast. Don’t just wake up for the first presentation or when your day is suppose to start.
6. Take advantage of the fresh fruit in-between speakers and at the morning buffet.
7. Oatmeal and granola should make up 1/3 of your breakfast along with eggs and fresh fruit.
8. Don’t drink too much coffee.
9. Try to maintain a sensible eating schedule. Don’t go 4 or 5 hours without eating a meal.
10. Don’t drink too much the night before.
11. Don’t be a party-pooper but don’t go to bed too late.
12.Don’t workout if you’re away for 1-2 days. It’ll just cause you to eat more food.
13.Make sure you bring tons of almonds, mac nuts or walnuts.
14. Eat fiber with EVERY meal.
15. Stay away from soda.
16. Don’t be afraid to eat as healthy as you can at restaurants even when the people around you aren’t.
17. I don’t like farm raised fish but it’s better then fried chicken or hamburgers. That’s always an option at restaurants or hotel bars.
18. Stay AWAY from the hotel bar nuts when you’re chillen there.
19. Don’t eat the fruit bars or whole grain bars that they give you between speakers. It’ll just make you want to eat more.
20.Pre-package your food in Tupperware and bring it with you in a cooler.
21.You can always bring natural peanut butter or almond butter with you and leave it in your hotel room and go back and forth.
22. Individual packets of tuna are a god-send
23. The more shaker bottles you bring the better. Fill them with casein protein and bring them with you no matter where you go.
24. If you absolutely must, have a cheat meal towards the end of the trip and during your last meal.
25. If you have to eat late at night, choose a egg omelet.
26. Always order a side of vegetables without the butter.
27. When in doubt, have a shake with some healthy nuts.
Bonus tip: Develop the mindset that you’re going to eat healthy before you leave your house and don’t let anything get in your way.
There it is, I’d appreciate it if you’d leave me a comment with a tip or two about how you survived traveling and ate healthy.
Tags: Aj Roberts, Bench Press, Brown Rice, Business Seminar, Chicken And Broccoli, Corona, Drinker, eat healthy when traveling, Fast Track, Fitness Business, Fitness Industry, Good Business, Greasy Foods, how to eat healthy at the airport, how to eat healthy in hotels, how to eat healthy when you're away, Jetta, Jimmy Smith, Mccombs, Morristown New Jersey, New Years Eve, Poor Car, Skpye, Two Women