How do I lose fat? The voice that said that was ringing in my ear. It repeated “how do I lose fat, I want to know how to lose fat”? I couldn’t stand it anymore so I turned around and saw this 30 year old guy standing behind me in the gym. Normally I wouldn’t be too happy about my workout getting interrupted by someone. As a matter of fact I’m in the gym to lose fat to so let me work out. Something was different about that day though. I decided to give this guy some information to help him. Here’s what I told him about how to lose fat.
You first need to understand that you need a good diet for a six pack (some people need to learn how to set up a bodybuilding diet). Nothing good can ever happen to your body without having a good diet in place.
1. Build Muscle.
Building lean muscle is the easiest way to lose fat, not only increases your metabolism but it will help you burn more calories. So just going to the gym 3-4 times a week and training for about 45-60 minutes will drastically change your body because
- Weight training will maintain your muscle mass when you diet and are on lower calories.
- Weight training keeps your metabolism high.
- Weight training helps you stick to a diet. At times even I have a hard time sticking to my diet but I know that when I go to the gym I have to eat good.
Now for the most part, just doing a full body routine will get the job done but if you really want to lose fat quickly then you have to do the big three movements that burn the most calories. Those movements are squats, deadlift and the bench press.
(Here’s a great beginner muscle building faq guide)
2. Focus on your diet if you want to know how to lose fat.
Just like I mentioned at the beginning, you need to focus on your diet or else you won’t see changes and you won’t lose fat.
- Eat More Protein. Protein contains amino acids which are the building blocks of muscle. Not to mention the fact that protein helps to keep you feeling full as well as increasing your metabolism. Figure out how much protein you need and make sure to choose whey over soy protein.
- Eat more small meal. Almost anytime anyone wants to lose fat, their biggest mistake revolves around the amount of meals they eat. I see everything from shake only diets or people just eating two to three meals per day. That’s a huge mistake. Understand the relationship of small meals and your metabolism.
- Healthy fats are amazing for helping you lose body fat. Not only do omega-3 fish oils helps your brain, joints and heart but they also lower your blood sugar post meal which is essential for dropping stomach fat and seeing your lower ab area.
- Berries and vegetables will get you lean. Packed with antioxidants and fiber, these foods must be included in at least three of your daily meals.
- Drink more tea. Get away from coffee, since the caffeine jitters might cause you to snack on sugar and drink healthy tea options like green tea. Not only can it help you burn fat but it’s just healthy for you.
- No more artificial sweeteners. These chemical sweeteners can actually increase our ability to desire more calories. Not what we want. Artificial sweeteners increase stomach fat.
- Have a healthy fat and protein meal before bed. Think about this, you’re sleeping for about 6-8 hours right? Well then don’t you think you need some type of nighttime nutrition plan?
3. Eat Carbs Post Workout
Simply put, if you don’t train then you don’t eat carbs. People fear carbohydrates post workout and it prevent people from building muscle. Since post workout carbs actually increase our recovery, it doesn’t make sense to limit them in our diets. We’ll still lose fat with them.Have them post workout and you’ll be fine.
4. Do your cardio.
It never ceases to amaze me how people will argue back and forth about which type of cardio is better or if you should do fasted cardio or not. The fact of the matter is, if you don’t do cardio, you don’t lose fat.
So the age old question, is it cardio or calories?
It’s the cardio people. Start out by doing 30-45 minutes 3 times per week of a steady state activity ( thinking jogging). Do this for 4 weeks. After those four weeks you should be ready for intervals. Basically you just alternate between a short period (30-45 seconds) of a all out sprint with equal time doing a very slow pace (walking) to recover. Don’t do this more then three times per week though. Cardio is a great way to speed up your metabolism or restart your metabolism.
5. Try an advanced diet to lose fat.
Now I don’t advocate advanced diets for everyone but there will come a time where you need to lose that last bit of fat. Personally I love a high protein, low carb, moderate fat approach to lose the last few pounds. To me, it’s flexible since a it’s possible to use a ketogenic diet for weight lose or bodybuilding. I’ve never tried it but people love fasting for weight loss too.
So there you have it, that’s how to lose fat 101. Enjoy the ride.
Tags: 60 Minutes, Amino Acids, Array, Bench Press, Bodybuilding Diet, Building Blocks, Burn Calories, Calories, Coupons, Deadlift, Facebook, Fat Diet, Fat Loss, Fat Loss Diet, Focus, Hard Time, How To Lose Belly Fat, How To Lose Body Fat, How To Lose Fat, How To Lose Fat Fast, How To Lose Stomach Fat, Increasing Your Metabolism, Job, Lean Muscle, Lose Fat, Lose Fat Fast, Lose Fat Quickly, Matter Of Fact, Metabolism, Muscle Building, Muscle Mass, Protein, Six Pack, Squats, Staning, Weight Training, Workout