Top 10 lists are clichéd and overdone. A Top list would probably be too overwhelming, and too much to remember. So I figured I’d write a nice, concise Top 11 list of ways to lose lower ab fat and lower belly fat. I bet if you start with only 3-5 of these (assuming you’re not doing them already), you’ll see immediate changes right off the bat. Then, start incorporating more into your daily life as the previous ones get easier and more habitual.
11) Drink more water – Water is nothing short of ‘magical.’ It helps cleanse, purify, satiate and satisfy our thirst. The more water we drink (provided we don’t OVERhydrate), the more benefits we’ll reap. Therefore, increasing your water consumption will help keep you more full throughout the day, as well as help move waste through your systems to clear your GI tracts.
10) Use a natural safe thermogenic (Yohimbine + caffeine) – There’s enough scientific research out there to show that caffeine IS good for fat loss (when used safely and in the right dosages) because it stimulates the central nervous system.
9) Eat more veggies and fruit – This is similar to #2, but the more practical version. Fruits and veggies have BOTH soluble and insoluble fiber; both of which will serve the purpose of helping us lose lower ab fat. As I’ll explain later, insoluble fiber promotes bowel movements, but soluble fiber prolongs stomach emptying time so that sugar is released and absorbed more slowly. This means we don’t get hungry as quickly between meals. Not being as hungry leads to not eating as much, which leads to fat loss.
8) Increase protein – Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. That means, the more of it we have, the faster our metabolism is, and the more energy we burn up on a daily basis. How can we increase the amount of lean body mass we have? Increase your weight training frequency (or volume) and increase your protein intake.
7) Do functional core exercises – Sit-ups and crunches are a thing of the past. These days, more people are focusing on rotation/anti-rotation, extension/anti-extension and bracing exercises. Things like Landmines, Cable rotations/woodchoppers, Garhammer raises and plank variations will all be your best bet in terms of ways to strengthen your core and whittle your middle.
6) Intervals > Steady state – It’s been proven time and again recently that people who performed lost more fat than those who performed steady state cardio. Think about it – You could burn 300 calories doing an hour of steady state cardio on the treadmill, OR, you could burn upwards up 450 doing 20 minutes of intervals, in addition to a warm up and cool down.
5) Weight training – Weight training is our G-d’s gift to fat loss. We wouldn’t be anywhere without it. Cardio is great for just burning calories, but to REALLY change our body compositions, lose fat, and tone our middle, we need weight training. Weight training speeds up our metabolisms for an extended period of time even AFTER we stop the exercise, which means MORE calorie burning and more fat lost.
4) Do “The Vacuum” – This kind of related to #7 regarding functional core exercises. This isometric exercise focuses on the Transverse Abdominus; the abdominal muscle that wraps around your waist like “Nature’s weight belt.” It’s our deepest ab muscle, and is MANDATORY for posture and core strength. This exercise has been done since before the days of Arnold for aesthetic purposes (it helps teach you to suck the abdomen in, making it appear less bulgy).
3) Cut out Diet sodas – I know that for me, personally, nothing bloats me more than carbonation. Whether it’s a seltzer water or Diet Coke, after a can, I FEEL like my lower abs are more bloated. Combine that with the artificial sweeteners that sometimes wreak havoc on people’s stomachs, and you get a recipe for disaster.
2) Increase insoluble fiber in your diet – Insoluble fiber is the type of fiber that helps move bulk through the intestines (thus promoting more bowel movements), and remove toxic waste in the colon in less time. The more stuff that moves through us, and the faster it moves through, the more quickly we can get rid of the gunk that’s causing the lower ab bloat/puffiness.
1) Eat less – This is essentially what everything comes down to. It seems simple, and it is; Occam’s Razor – The simplest answer is often the right one. If you just eat less than you’re eating now, and continue weight training, you’ll lose fat. Simple as that.
Jamie Filer does it again.Great article
Jamie’s last article was about 10 metabolism boosting foods. Read it
Tags: Bowel Movements, Central Nervous System, Core Exercises, Crunc, Crunches, Daily Basis, Drink More Water, Fruits And Veggies, Functional Core, how to lose lower ab fat, Lean Body Mass, lose lower ab fat, lower ab fat, Move Waste, Protein Intake, Protein Muscle, Soluble And Insoluble Fiber, Soluble Fiber, Thermogenic, Top 10 Lists, Water Consumption, Water Water, Weight Training, Yohimbine